what is switchlife?
SwitchLife Inc. a Texas based 501c3 non-profit corporation, provides empowerment and opportunity for at-risk youth to redirect their paths, teaching life skills and character building through skateboarding lessons and workshops. SwitchLife’s innovative curriculum promotes goal setting, personal responsibility and self-awareness.
Our programming combines a child’s natural desire to connect with the allure and excitement of the skateboarding community with recreational and learning opportunities. Yoga, mindfulness and nutritional awareness are also part of our program, along with other skill sets designed to bring balance and awareness to the body and emotions. By bringing our mobile services to underserved youth, SwitchLife combats the effects of poverty, addiction, homelessness and lack of direction in today’s youth population.
While our long term goal is to take SwitchLife programming global, there is immense and pressing need right here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
- 23% of public school students in our area will not graduate from high school.
- 360, 483 children live in poverty.
- 49% of children in Dallas county are classified as obese.
- Texas ranks last in mental health spending per capita in the nation.
- In 2010, there were 86,548 referrals of youths to juvenile probation.
- Texas has the highest rate in the nation for teens giving birth multiple times during adolescence.*
- In our area in 2015, there were over 5,000 children in foster care.**
SwitchLife’s program seeks to reduce these numbers by providing physical, mental, and emotional fitness.